Yasukuni Shrine: Monument to Japanese sailors
Yasukuni Shrine, originally named Tokyo Shokonsha was constructed in June 1869 by order of the Meiji Emperor to commemorate soldiers who had died in the Boshin War and had fought on the side of the Restoration. At that time it was one of several dozen such shrines built throughout Japan. In 1879, the shrine was renamed Yasukuni Jinja and became one of the principal shrines associated with State Shinto as well as the primary national shrine for commemorating Japan's war dead. The name Yasukuni, a quotation from Zuo Zhuan (a classical-era Chinese text), literally means "Pacifying the Nation" and was chosen by the Meiji Emperor. The shrine has performed Shinto rites to house the kami (spirits) of all Japanese and former colonial subjects (Korean and Taiwanese) and civilians who died while participating in the nation's conflicts until the end of the US occupation of Japan in 1951...Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
- 2008 Dave Walsh.
- Image Size
- 3504x2336 / 7.0MB
- Contained in galleries